Re: [TCML] Considering a new coil build...

Travis Tabbal wrote:
Sounds like I need to think bigger. I guess if I'm going to buy
a nice pulse cap I may as well build the big coil while I'm at it though.
Cool! Bigger is better if you have the cap energy and power to back it up.

Any thoughts on where to obtain flat copper strip in suitable sizes and what
those sizes are? With 1/2" tube, the primary gets wide fast, and I can get
the turn to turn spacing lower with strip.

I bought my ribbon here at http://metallectric.com/Tesla_coil_components.html This was 32 mil ribbon 1" width and perfect for my SRSG coil. The price was good and it came in in excellent shape.
http://www.classictesla.com/photos/sisg/sisg-101208006.jpg

Here are a few pointers with ribbon. While purchasing G10 12" square discs for the RSG at McMaster-Carr, also purchase Garolite for the standoffs. Garalite is easily tapped, so you can mount with screws the standoffs to a base. Wood working skill saw is what I used to cut it. I set up a fence and a stop for the 1" depth. Pretty simple. Actually, with my standoffs, I first tried to cut strips in the bottom and top caps (1/2" each). This worked great for winding (which is why I did it), but it didn't work well when placing the top cap. The best way I found was to go ahead and slice 1" depth slots in the Garolite and use a 1/2" simple top cap. I did this on the later four standoffs.

The number of standoffs is important!!!!!!! If you try to go with only 4 stand offs around the coil, you'll be hardpressed to get it even and accurate. I had the hardest time with this. I finally broke down and cut four more standoffs for a total of 8. I was then able to manage something usable. If I were to do it again, I would use 8 total and cut them all for nice fit.

How about holding the flying electrodes into the G10 disk?
David will have the best info for your here. I used tapped holes in the side of a G10 disc. Nothing ever come loose, but there was a study performed by a coiler on the possibility. It seemed then best to use collars on each side of the rotating electrodes to ensure the electrode is well set in place.

For the toroid, going bigger means fabricating them. I have yet to make a
decent looking dryer duct toroid. Any tips there?
For a bigger coil, then certainly a bigger toroid is needed. The best homebrew toroid I've made was to use corregated tubing and then to cover in plaster of paris and some other similar compound (50/50 ratio). After the goop dried, I sanded smooth and covered in Al tape then smoothed the tape out by rubbing the tape with a Craftsman 1"D socket. Came out excellent and felt as smooth as my spun 9 x 30 toroid. There are of course cages or ring toroids you could do. Since your toroid needs to be rather large, the later might be a better option for you.

Take care,
Bart