Re: [TCML] Homebuilt Transformer - Can you add shunts?

Richie used an air gap. This should be possible also with your core type. This is probably easier than trying to insert shunts as a magnetic leakage bypass with your particular core shown. Lot's of measurements are needed until you find the amount of leakage current needed for desired regulation. I think probably a simple air gap will be best with this core of which you can do by inserting a thin sheet of poly (or layers of) at the joining of the two halves.

Take care,
Bart

Phil Tuck wrote:
Hello.

I am in the process of rewinding a transformer from a UK RADAR set. A
drawing of the core with sizes can be seen here
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/follies/tesla/radartransformer.html

Eventually it will be a 2 to 3 Kva unit   ( originally it was 2Kva 8.25 kv @
250 m/a with  AWG 14 on the primary & AWG 24 on the secondary)

Before I start finalizing turns etc, I wondered can I introduce a magnetic
shunt to limit the shorted current, like NST's use, and thus avoid having to
use a Ballast?

If so would I just need to introduce some packing between the jointing faces
?

Richie Burnett has done a similar thing with some inductors to stop
saturation at
http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/parts2.html#ballast

Looked at a few other webpages on homebuilt transformers but none seem to
use this method for a transformer though, but I thought this was the same
method employed by NST's

Thanks

Phil