Re: [TCML] VTTC-tuning. John got me started ;-)

Bart
Nothing silly at all concerning this issue. John F. just explained part of it. Here is the other part. Every tube has a set of characteristics that are defined by the maker usually referred as the "characteristic curves". Fortunately for our common transmitting triodes this operating data is all readily available. Output impedance is an important issue for optimal performance. For example, consider an audio amp that matches to 8 ohm speakers. If you use 16 ohm speakers you will still hear sound but loose a lot of power.
Where did it go? In the output stage of the amplifier as heat loss.

It is not quite as dramatic with transmitting triodes, but this is how you get as much energy as possible in the secondary. It is just old ham radio technique. When you keep removing the energy from the tube with a proper impedance match in the tank circuit then the secondary removes it from the primary (resonance) and it then becomes corona or a streamer. If all is balanced, all works as well as you can get. If it is out of tune something typically gets hotter than it should, usually the tube.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with over-volting the tube. That can be quick death.

VTTCs can be portable, but they do behave different from surrounding capacitive elements. Sometimes it actually helps.

A side note on secondary resonance. I use earth ground on the secondaries ( an old water pipe feed no longer tied into the house supply) on all my coils. I have too much cash in my computer gear upstairs to risk. My DRSSTC also resonates at 250 KHz and is separated by about 6 feet from the VTTC. If I put a 3/4 brass ball on the center DRSSTC breakout point, the secondary of the VTTC starts to produce a good 6" corona before breakout starts on the DRSSTC. Sometimes I just feel like a kid watching E & M come to life.
Hope this helps.
John W. G.

John W. Gudenas, Ph.D.
Professor of Computer Science