From: G Hunter [mailto:dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 07 May 2009 01:58
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TCML] Scope Issues

I tried to observe my SGTC quench on my o'scope tonight.  No dice.  This is
the first time I've tried it.  I set up a simple horizontal dipole about
15ft from the 1KW, NST-based coil.  I used two 18" wire elements across a
47ohm resistor.  I set up the scope for a good-looking 200kHz sine wave from
my sig gen, then plugged in the dipole to CH1 and went for it.  The scope
displayed zip, even at 5mV/div.  I tried vertical polarization too.  No
help.  I removed the resistor.  The scope now became sensitive to 60Hz noise
and showed me a fuzzy trace.  Good!  Still no help.  The snarling TC across
the room inspired not even a quiver from the mocking trace.  I'm stumped.
The vacuum cleaner motor on my sucker gap causes plenty of 60Hz hash on the
scope, put the screaming coil causes no change in the display.  Were I a
gambler, I would've bet the TC RF signal would be detectable from 10s of
yards away.  What am I doing wrong?  Should I simply move the antenna
 closer to the coil?  I don't have enough coax to do that at the moment, but
I can get some.

Cheers,

Greg