RE: [TCML] Wardenclyffe property up for sale

Dex wrote:
>> Sad story about the largest Tesla [magnifier] in history.
>> In his authorized biography "My Inventions" Tesla mentioned the
>> [magnifier] could be operated up to 100 MV.  I'm afraid voltage like
>> that wouldn't be feasible.  Numerous measurements and experiments show
>> the normal atmosphere breakdown field is aprox. 900 kV/ft.  Applying
>> this to a perfect 69 feet diameter sphere gives about 31 MV of
>> breakdown potential.  Clearly, Tesla overestimated the figure. . . .

The maximum potential before spark breakout from a Tesla coil's top-load can be increased by holding back the streamers.  This is what Tesla was doing with those hemispherical attachments on the magnifier shown in U.S. patent No. 1,119,732, Dec. 1, 1914.

     http://www.teslaradio.com/images/1119732-1.gif

Tesla created a further improved top-load in the mid 1930s that he said could be charged up to 60 MV prior to controlled spark breakout or directed electrical discharge.  The vacuum-tube studded terminal is both described and illustrated in “New Art of Projecting Concentrated Non-Dispersive Energy Through Natural Media."

This is a cross sectional drawing of the 5-meter diameter top-load with tubes attached,

     http://www.teslaradio.com/images/image006.jpg .

This is a close-up of an individual single electrode tube.

     http://www.teslaradio.com/images/image008.jpg .

Here is Tesla's drawing showing the charge distribution on the improved Tesla coil top-load,

http://www.tfcbooks.com/images/books/tele/004.gif .

"Assume now that the terminal is equivalent to a sphere of radius R = 250 centimeters which heretofore could only be charged to a potential of 100 x 250 = 25,000 e.s. units or 7,500,000 volts but, by taking advantage of my improvements, can be readily charged to 2 x 10E5 e.s. units or 6 x 10E7 volts. . . ."

This morning I posted the full text of the original proposal on the World Wide Web at,

http://www.teslaradio.com/pages/teleforce.htm .

I'll post the drawings when I have time.

>> . . . If nothing else, I hope good people will manage to save his old
>> lab building.

Tesla Wardenclyffe Project, Inc. and The Friends of Science East dba Tesla Science Center at Wardenclyffe [ http://www.teslasciencecenter.org/ ] are 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporations working in partnership and dedicated to the preservation and adaptive reuse of Wardenclyffe, the century-old laboratory of electrical pioneer Nikola Tesla located in Shoreham on Long Island New York.  Special arrangements can be made for in-kind contributions.

Gary Peterson, Chief Operating Officer
Tesla Wardenclyffe Project, Inc.
P.O. Box 8041
Breckenridge, CO 80424