Re: [TCML] Re: The current recordholders?

Hi All,

As 13M is a 100kVA design, it would normally run say 30 to 35 ft max sparks. I know Bill ran 13M above 100kVA and likely the 55 ft arc is between 125 - 150kVA (and for that brief arc event, likely 150kVA). The 55 ft length was a one time event and I seriously doubt this particular photo is that event. It doesn't even make sense to examine this photo for the 55ft arc. Bill stated the norm at 125kVA was around 40 ft which again fits the efficiency as the other big coils (perfectly).

We have all had sparks that reached out a time or two beyond what we think the coil is capable of, but these events are not indicative to the coils spark length. They are events that do occur, but they should not be used to indicate a coils spark length at a given power. Spark lengths stated should be repeatable (repeatable free air or target hits). As I recall, Bill specifically mentioned the 55ft arc was a one time event, and I think this was during testing.

Best regards,
Bart

Greg Leyh wrote:
Hi Jeff,

One comment comes to mind regarding the 55' claim. Others have already mentioned that the 55' point-to-point arc is not visible in the specific photo you mentioned earlier. ( http://www.ttr.com/model13.html )

To quantify point-to-point arc length in that photo, I applied the same measurement technique that I used on the Electrum photo:

http://www.lightninglab.org/misc/M13ArcMsmt.jpg

Applying the 6' human from the double exposure shown below this photo, it seems that a circle on the ground only 24' from the breakout points is able to fully contain all of the ground strikes. None of the arcs appear to even come close the projected 55' length on the photo. Perhaps there's another photo that better illustrates the 55' point to point performance? At the least, the caption for that specific photo should probably be revised.

-GL