Re: [TCML] Capacitor encapsulent

Hi Ray,

Wasn't sure how many would reply here, but I think your better off using oil. The oil performs the self healing and cooling. The paraffin when it cools will shrink. I expect you will still get pockets between the sheets regardless of vacuum simply due to the solidification of the wax. Obviously, your trying to bypass the pain of a liquid (I don't blame you), but I don't think wax is really the best medicine here. Problems of course would be corona, but even that depends on the voltage stresses the cap will see. If stresses are low, even using no wax and no oil might be ok, but if stresses do get high enough, I think you will want oil between the sheets.

Just an opinion. Best regards,
Bart B.

Raymond Magdziarz wrote:
I'm building my capacitor using window glass and brass sheets. I plan on
using paraffin instead of transformer oil. I would draw a vacuum on the
container while the paraffin is liquid to get the bubbles out and then let
it solidify. Will this work, or what problems will I have.

Ray M.