[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
RE: [TCML] New Coil Questions
1. pigs can easily run 50% over rated.
2. It takes a lot of CD caps for that much power. I went with expensive
General Atomics (2).1uf 50KV.
3. See Richie Burnett's site - the transformer capacitance statement
4. See them on ebay, sometimes in old equipment
5. Use Richardson Electronics if stock is on hand or Dr. Resonance
6. This needs to be a big coil. I would think 4:1 and at least 12"
7. Put it downstream from the variac. An adjustable on the fly (moves the
transfomer's core) is ideal
8. Ground the pig to RF or mains ground - still a controversy. Keep the LV
9. **** are you sure you are ready for a 12kva pig coil?*** No errors
allowed to be survivable.
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Tyler Pauly
Sent: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:48 PM
Subject: [TCML] New Coil Questions
I've been out of the tesla coil "circuit" for a while now but I'm looking to
get back in. I've had a 10kVA pig sitting in my garage for a while and I
want to put it to use. Some questions....
1) Would it be okay to go over rating on the pig? I assumed as much, but
figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. I'm thinking somewhere in the range of
12-13kVA if I do.
2) Is the most straightforward route for the tank capacitor an MMC, or are
there other (easy-to-find) capacitors that would work as well?
3) I have an equation that tells me the capacitive reactance of my xmfr.
Do I want my tank capacitor to have that value, or would the resonant
effects be a bad thing? What value should I shoot for?
4) Where have most of you guys gotten your variacs? Talking about the
0-280V 28A ones. I can't seem to find any, and I would like 2. I assume
they'll be expensive once I find them...
5) Are the CDE 942 caps still the best choice in MMC building? Who are
some suppliers? I can only find/think of Digikey.
6) I know the coil's secondary will be into the 3:1 realm, but how big
should it be? I'm mainly asking for 12kVA usage with the pig, as that's
what I hope to run it with.
7) Can I wire an arc welder in series with my outlet leads to current
limit? I would think so, but again, it doesn't hurt to ask.
8) My pig only has 1 HV bushing, so should I just split the wiring I attach
to it to get 2 leads off of it to make the primary circuit? Sorry for the
bad wording, I hope I get my question across.
Thank you for bearing with me, if you got through all that. And thanks
again if you answer any of them! :P
Tesla mailing list
Tesla mailing list