RE: [TCML] Does Patent 500,630 predate Tesla's coil?

Like Edison and his light bulb, Tesla was not the first, just made a better coil! Have a look at this: <http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/APS/StrongLetter.htm>http://www.electrotherapymuseum.com/2008/APS/StrongLetter.htm
and decide.

Frank

At 01:32 PM 5/30/2009 -0600, you wrote:
Thanks to all.. By all means, please continue the discussion. The patent
454,622 mentioned predates the 500,630 patent and leaves credit where we all
think credit is due.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Harvey Norris
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:11 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Does Patent 500,630 predate Tesla's coil?

--- On Sat, 5/30/09, Jim Harvey (UDN) <harvey.james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Jim Harvey (UDN) <harvey.james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [TCML] Does Patent 500,630 predate Tesla's coil?
> Date: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 9:51 AM
>
> Greetings...
>
> A friend pointed out a patent 500630 that appears to predate Tesla on
> the invention of the "Tesla Coil." A link to this patent is
> at:
> http://www.google.com/patents?id=pdZBAAAAEBAJ
> <blocked::http://www.google.com/patents?id=pdZBAAAAEBAJ&dq=500630>
> &dq=500630
>
> Any thoughts or comments?
The first record Of Tesla's high frequency coupled oscillatory circuit with
an air cored transformer is to be found in patent 454622 of 23 June 1891
under the title "System of electric lighting". The oscillator converts low
frequency currents into "currents of very high frequency and very high
potential" which then supplies single terminal lamps. (from Aleksandar
Marincic's CSN preface) The arc gap in this schematic is within the tank
circuit, something later abandoned as the best method.
HDN