Re: [TCML] Inductor Construction

Tyler,

What you are proposing is to create a multifilar winding. Bifilar windings (two wires in parallel) are relatively common. I've seen magnet wire offered with 4 conductors bonded together. No reason you couldn't do 6.

If you arbitrarily number your wires 1 through 6, just apply power to the start of winding 1 (W1), connect the end of W1 to the start of W2, the end of W2 to the start of W3, and so on. Power comes out of the end of W6.

Only downside is if there is a thick insulation jacket around the overall cable. It will take up space and trap heat. Also, generally, jacketed cables are more expensive per net foot of conductor than a single conductor. Still, if you can get the stuff cheaper than a roll of 8 Ga THHN at Home Depot, go for it!

Dave

Tyler Pauly wrote:
I apologize for my rustiness with classical physics, but here's the problem:

I'm building an inductive ballast for a pole pig; the plan is for 200-300 turns of 8 gauge around a PVC pipe, with some welding rods taped together into a long bar sliding in and out of the PVC form.

My question arises because I found a supplier of some cable that has 6 strands of 8 gauge insulated copper wire inside. Would I be able to somehow splice the input to connect to all 6, then use say 50' of the cable to get 300 turns effective?
Is this feasible or not?

Thanks,
Tyler