RE: [TCML] primary tubing

Herr Zapp,
You are correct in that they are similar however there are some differences,
aluminum is actually put into an acid bath to create the anodize and change
the molecular structure of the surface, I have tested various types of
anodizing for voltage withstand, as anodizing changes the chemical makeup of
the surface, normal is depth is anywhere from 1/16" to 1/32" below the
surface. I have sent samples of aluminum to several anodizing manufactures
to have the samples anodized so I could test the voltage withstand level,
and I have found that it will handle about 450Vac RMS before it finally
blows a hole in the anodized layer. The purpose of the test was to determine
whether or not I could use conductive ink right on the aluminum at 240Vac
without any insulation between the ink and aluminum. And the answer was yes,
however due to the depth of the anodized layer, I felt it would not pass the
UL test that was required. But the idea worked perfect, and we ended up
using it for the low voltage applications.

One of the other factors I noticed when running this on 6018 aluminum was
the heat transfer was not uniform through out the surface of the aluminum. I
had done thermal imaging of the heat transfer of non anodized aluminum and
compared the results with anodized aluminum, and clearly heat transformation
is not uniform on anodized aluminum, however it is able withstand a lot of
heat without damage, I was able to reach 300C without any warping of the
plate, non anodized aluminum showed signs of warping at that level using the
same thickness and square inch surface area for both tests and also when
using non anodized I needed insulation between the heater and plate, I used
kapton tape and that slowed the heat transfer down. Even though the heat
transfer was not uniform the transfer was also quicker using anodized
because of the insulation I'm sure. What I was trying to do was find a more
efficient way of heating up these small plates. The conclusions of the test
was yes we could not use it, only because it would not pass the UL creepage
distance in my mind.

I have not tried any of these tests on hard anodized aluminum so I cannot
say how that performs compared to soft anodized.

--Brian