From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Chris Rutherford
Sent: 11 November 2009 15:27
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] multiple miniature transformers

Hi All,

A couple of years back I made a TC powered by 4 parallel NSTs,
providing 1KVA, which worked reasonably well.  I was thinking about
extending the idea using 10 larger (identical) NSTs to provide 10KVA.
I would individually protect each NST using something like a Terry
filter, and also place a switch on the mains side of each transformer,
so that I can switch each transformer on individually (perhaps using a
relay).  In theory, this would allow me to ramp up the power in 1KVA
steps to a total of 10KVA.  What problems can you foresee with this?
Has this method of TC load control been tried before?  The advantage
would be removal of the Variac and not having to lug a pole pig
around.  Presumably the primary circuit can be modeled/ designed based
on the parallel impedances of the transformers, at maximum input
power.

Thanks

Chris