Re: [TCML] Largest arc attainable?

James Shelton wrote:
Dear All,

I'm developing a documentary where we are looking to create the
largest possible arc of artificial lightning. Using existing systems
- what kind of length could I expect to see, and where does such a
system exist? So far, I can find Greg Leyh's Electrum, Bill Wysock's
13M and the Cauac Twin Coils, all of them seem to be able to produce
an arc around 50ft in length. However, I read that Tesla himself was
able to create artificial lightning arc in the order of 130ft - is
this still the record?

If you have any suggestions then please do (if you can) include
contact details.

Thanks Everyone!

All the Very Best,

Hi James,

The current longest spark record holder appears to be the 492 foot (150 meter) spark generated by the huge Marx generator at the Siberian Power Research Institute (SIBNIIE) at Novosibirsk, Siberia. More details, lots of pictures, and a couple of video tours of this, and a similar facility in St. Petersburg, can be found here:

http://www.capturedlightning.com/frames/longarc.htm#Longspark
http://www.capturedlightning.org/hot-streamer/temp/dest/SIBNIIE/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPPMaDH7L7I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9DrYSc2_3Y