Re: [TCML] Solid state efficiency, was: mini Tesla coil specs

Steve Ward writes, "[I] think energy transfer time to the spark is very important" for maximizing spark length. I agree and repeat here an opinion I posted a few years ago: As compared to a solid-state coil, the relatively much-higher rate-of-rise of the initial half or whole cycle from the abrupt shot of energy thru a spark-gap will allow charge to be crammed onto the top electrode before the spark has a chance to proceed very far. A research paper I have a copy of has found spark propagation in air, measured over 1 inch of distance, to require about 50 ns of time. That extrapolates to about 20 inches of travel per microsecond. So with a high rate of voltage-rise, more charge can be applied to the electrode than can bleed off through the spark during its first several inches of travel.
Ken Herrick

[snipped]