From: Ken or Doris Herrick <kchdlh@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Nov 15, 2009 2:44 pm
Subject: Re: Re: [TCML] Solid state efficiency, was: mini Tesla coil specs

That's very interesting. I think, seeing that, that my much lower rep. rate is what allowed the sparks to jump around the toroid randomly rather than sticking to one spot. I rather prefer that effect & so, if&when I get the new one to work, will stick with it for that reason.

BTW for anyone interested, the input ckt I posted at http://drop.io/kch_ring_brg appears now to be overkill. From further simulation, it seems I will not need the phase-shifting cap., the decoupling circuit, the "pilot oscillator" or the clamping. Just 2 pairs of fast diodes, in anti-parallel, across TX1's primary & then depend on R3 to limit the Schmitt's input current. In the simulation there's enough energy in the 1st 1/4 cycle of secondary current to start the feedback-ball rolling. Using that scheme, simulation of 1/3 of my ultimate primary ckt (since my freebie v. of the program won't allow for all of it) shows that a) the (untuned) t.c.'s primary current becomes close to a sine wave after 20 cycles or so and b) switching occurs at nearly current-zero-crossing. Just maybe I won't be zapping quite so many transistors this time...

KCH