[TCML] Re: Solid state efficiency, was: mini Tesla coil specs

Hi Dex,

The total internal busbar inductance of one IGBT is about 33nH, which is negligible compared to the Lpri, at any frequency:

http://www.lightninglab.org/misc/Mitsu011.jpg

There are no switching losses, as the IGBT's always switch at zero voltage and current.

The 0.6ohm value was calculated using the RMS value of the voltage drop waveform. The current waveform remained largely sinusoidal.

I'm not very familiar with DRSSTCs, but it appears that the unit featured in the URL runs about 1kV Vpri and 2.5kA Ipri. This implies a Zpri around 0.4ohm. Probably better to confirm this with its owner.

What is more important for underperformance? I'd suggest unplugging the unit. ;D GL

Greg,
Couple of additional comments and Qs.
I am aware an IGBT switch under given circumstances should
be more  efficient than a spark gap switch.
But it is not so simple.
May I ask at what frequency IGBT resistance is 0.007 ohm?
Certainly it not same at 60 Hz and 60 kHz.
And then there is some IGBT switching loss involved at
high frequencies,no? Do you think that 0.6 ohm resistance of the spark is a constant
value during the transfer of energy from primary to secondary
(first notch primary ringdown)?
If yes why,if not what 0.6 ohm represents then?
I found an interesting design of IGBT coil here:
 http://scopeboy.com/tesla/t4spec.html
I calculated primary Zchar and it turns out to be only
 about 0.09 ohm.
This coil at 4 kW puts out 81 inches sparks.
According to Freau empirical formula it should perform
with sparks over 100 inches long.In your opinion what
is more important for underperformance here :400 BPS or
very low primary impedance and increased primary losses?
Note that this coil also quenches at first notch.

Dex