Re: [TCML] Main ground vs RF ground

Maybe you're refering to destiny Bart. In that case when I was a noob I was playing around with an nst. I took 7kv/30ma across the chest. Talk about exhillerating! Saftey first, drake

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 20, 2009, at 9:48 PM, bartb <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey Dex, curious if you know Father Dest? Sounds like something he would have done.

Regards,
Bart B. Anderson

Dex Dexter wrote:
I have touched the case of my 5kV@20mA NST many times
during Tesla coil operation.It doesn't hurt at all.
My NST case is mains-grounded,and Tesla coil is grounded
to water pipe in my house :-)

Dex

--- Gary.Lau@xxxxxx wrote:

From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [TCML] Main ground vs RF ground
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:39:07 +0000

The only place for using the mains-ground is for objects that one is likely to touch while energized. The purpose is in the event that there is a short between the HOT line and the thing that one might touch - to provide a path to ground so that the fault current trips the breaker or fuse and neutralizes the threat. In a Tesla coil, there should be no objects beyond the variac case or control cabinet, that one might touch. Only the variac case and control cabinet should go to mains ground, and the NST case must not be connected to that. The NST case should be considered off- limits to touching (it will hurt the whole time...). Unlike in a neon sign application in a pizza shop where a customer could reasonably make contact with the NST case, we and those under our supervision, should NEVER touch the NST case or any other part of a Tesla coil. It is dangerous by nature and will never be UL-approved!

Using both an RF and mains ground for things that are RF-hot (NST case), is not conservative, it's just wrong and serves no purpose as far as minimizing RF interference. One could argue that it may make the coil safer should there be a fault, but doing so destroys your effort to reduce EMI. The Terry filter schematic is 100% correct.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA