[TCML] "And Speaking of Large Class C Power Oscillators..."

I have ordered a technical document for a very large "super power"
vacuum tube power oscillator used for induction heating of gases
for NASA at Arnold Engineering Development Center in the early
to mid 1970s .

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA023067

What is interesting about this unit is it is tunable from 10-50kHz, is
vacuum tube powered (oscillator wired push pull parallel --
4 push pull units running in tandem ==8^O), and has a continuous
rated output of 3.2MW (3,200kW).

Detailed discussion of design, auxiliary equipment,
and protective systems. AFAIK this is one of the largest VT power
oscillators that I am aware. Very intrigued about electrical grid protection,
protective relaying, and control methodology. This early I doubt that
PLC's were used for controlling means (5TI Texas Instrument
first generation PLC's did not become commercially available
until 1975-1976 time frame), so probably discrete relays and
possibly TTL or CMOS high speed controls.

Alex Tajnsek has 4 or 5 Amperex 6960 water cooled triodes with
complete HV and water jacket hardware out of 4-5 Lepel VT single
ended 10kW induction heaters that we demo'd from the Richmond
yard; so lots of this information will be used. Yep, we do have the
hardware to build a push-pull high power VTTC.

Regards
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA