[TCML] Welder core as Ballast

Hello.

When using a welder for ballast it is normal to short the secondary leads as
this increases the inductance of the primary considerably, but why does it
increase it?

The reason I'm asking is that I have an old 160 amp welding transformer, the
sort with the secondary one side and the primary on the other with a slide
in between. What is the best way to rewind this as a ballast coil with this
setup. (The existing primary needs rewinding anyway)

1) Wind a new primary coil to achieve a suitable inductance and leave the
existing secondary in place and short circuit it.

2) Wind a new primary and a new secondary and connect them in series.

Bearing in mind I still wish to use the slide to vary the inductance I'm not
too sure if the second method would be very effective.

Phil