Re: [TCML] Frequencies

Rhys,
That is a very old and very well tested ciruit that works fine. The diode won't hurt but is not necessary at all. I have used this circuit and modifications of it quite a bit. I would like to pass on to you that the 3055 transistors are way over rated and will not stand this for very long before they "blow" and let all of their smoke out. They claim to be rated at 15 amps but I have yet to see one take much more than 5 amps for long, even with a massive heat sink. By the way, be sure to use a large heat sink for the 3055 transistor to have it last more than a few seconds.Also, the circuit works much better with a separate power supply across the ignition coil from the one powering the 555 IC. This way, you are able to use much higher voltages across the ignition coil without the 15 volt limitation of the 555.

You will be much better served by a simple modification and use a MosFet instead of the 3055. There are many MosFet's available with much higher voltage and amp ratings than the 3055 and they are just as inexpensive.

From what you have shown so far, I don't understand why you feel you need
such a large gap for the 25kV and why you would need 50kV to initiate the spark across the gap. Look at Marx Generators and how they initiate the primary spark that starts the chain discharge. Many Marx designs use similar voltages and do not use anything like the gaps you refer to.
Paul
Think Positive

----- Original Message ----- From: Rhys Sage
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2009 22:44
Subject: [TCML] Frequencies

Ok. Here's where I am so far...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2643/4002838259_0717959090_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2628/4003601480_f7df68c001_b.jpg
I don't think I can attach pictures to my postings so I hosted them on flickr.

All bar the red wires are soldered into place. It just got too late and after a glass of Kahlua I don't fancy my chances of accuracy. The red wires go to the + side, the black to the - and the green connect components.

Originally this was going to run the power transistor, hence the 100 ohm resistor. I plan to use the output from that resistor now (in conjunction with further resistors) to drive a visible and an infra-red LED. This pulse controller will be entirely self-contained and separate from the rest of my electronics. It makes for easier fault-finding later.

The 25kv output from the ignition coil will charge a 5000pf capacitor. By my calculations, a gap of 3 inches should ensure no spark will flow unless the air is ionised.

A second ignition coil will produce a 50KV pulse which will ionise the air and allow current to flow out of the capacitor. Total discharge time for the capacitor should be around 1/2,000,000th of a second.