Re: [TCML] Frequencies

Paul Brodie wrote:
What does the number of cylinders have to do with how fast the engine turns over?
Paul
Think Positive

Nothing, but your answer was that the coil was designed to driven at that frequency.

The coil has to generate a pulse for half the cylinders on each rev (at least for an Otto Cycle/four stroke.. a two stroke fires every rev)

And 6000 RPM isn't particularly fast for a modern engine. While most cars don't have F-1 engines revving to 12000-15000 RPM, most will run up faster than 6000.

Now.. that inexpensive Wells coil that a lot of folks use (including me) was OEM on a big 500+ cu inch Cadillac engine, and that one probably did redline at 4500-5000 RPM.

  Subject: Re: [TCML] Frequencies

  On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Paul Brodie <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  > A standard commercial automobile engine runs at 6,000 rpm tops. The ignition
  > coils are deigned to be driven at this frequency.

  times number of cylinders?