[TCML] SSTC Coupling

Hi Folks,

I've been doing computer analysis of SSTCs and I've got some results that
seem to challenge the conventional wisdom of using the highest possible
coupling when building Solid State coils. The coil I am building is required
to use less than 500 W of input power, so I was experimenting with current
limit resistors, and I noticed that depending on the value of the current
limit resistance, the coil output characteristics can vary tremendously.
With no limit resistor the output peaks when the coupling between the
primary and secondary is between about 0.7 and 0.95 (See
http://picasaweb.google.com/GBMorris/Tesla#5396152972495257298 ), but if the
limiting resistance is 25 Ohm, the peak output is at the opposite end of the
scale, between about 0.1 and 0.2! (See
http://picasaweb.google.com/GBMorris/Tesla#5396152972060592098 ) Increasing
the coupling significantly *decreases* the output in this case. My circuit
model can be found here,
http://picasaweb.google.com/GBMorris/Tesla#5396152968071832514 , and has
been largely borrowed from Figure 8-1 of Tilbury's book on Tesla Coil
Design.

Cheers,
Greg

--
Greg Weyrich Morris
VP External - Engineering Undergraduate Society