Re: [TCML] My first tesla coil

Hi Peter,

Nice first coil. One thing to keep in mind is wood on the primary. As Gary mentioned in a reply, it either carbon tracks or not. Let me add to this. Although it may or may not have carbon tracked at this point, it eventually will. So, a decent upgrade is to replace the runners with something better equipped for high voltage (nylon, plastic, acrylic, etc.). Wood directly on the primary is sort of asking for trouble.

The spark gap is the main concern when it comes to power robbing components in SGTC's. Air cooling is needed. Air cooling allows the spark gap to attain an equilibrium between heat dissipation and the voltage at which the gap fires (which relates to the energy at which the caps are charged and thus discharged to create a large emf at the secondary coil). If the gap is allowed to heat up, it will begin firing at lower voltages (which reduces the energy and field at the primary). Keeping the gap cool helps to keep the cap energy firing at high voltages and thus a high energy discharge through the primary.

Keep in mind that the spark gap is the number one player in power efficiency regarding the magnetic field between both coils. If it's wimpy, wimpy spark lengths can be expected. If it's powerful, much longer spark lengths will occur. Heat robs power. Thus, cooling is needed to attain some aspect of repeatable power. Most of us build spark gaps. Some build like 10 and never do that well. Others build 10 and find that 1 or 2 do "very well". There is some experimentation involved.

Anyway, nice first TC. Hope to see it do even better in days to come.

Take care,
Bart B.

Peter Baitz wrote:
Hello,

I am new to tesla coiling and this website

http://www.freewebtown.com/baitzobservatory/tesla/index.html

is my brief documentation and picture review of my first tesla coil. Made extensive use of DeepFriedNeon.com for constructing the details, and other websited for ideas, tips and information and safety. My only question I have is a 9000 V 30mA coil is supposed to put out 23" sparks/streamers, but I am getting maybe half that at most. Tuning the primary coil to 6 or 8 turns stops any streamers, and anywhere in the 7th ring, especially 7 on the mark, seems to be it's max. - you can even hear it in the way the spark gap purrs more evenly and loudly.
Links to videos  are also on the sight.    Feedback much welcome as this is my first coil.

Thanks to the coil community for all the input.
BTW I also make some props as a hobby, and while I was doing the coil, I also built the Warehouse 13 Tesla unit:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee64/ncc1701_photos/warehouse13/My_Homemade_Teslagun_04.jpg

Peter