Re: Re: [TCML] crowned pulleys

All very good stuff to know. As I'm clearly uninformed on the topic, it's as well that I'm not contemplating actually building one. Just toyed with the idea until I decided to make another try with my Tesla coil--which I am in the process of doing.

KCH

DC Cox wrote:
Ed is right.

A 1 inch wide pulley will only give you approx 3/4 uA charging current which
will leak back down your column (leakage current is important in VDGRF
design) and not allow the HV terminal to build up any large potential.
Also, for best performance, you need a metal not a plastic pulley, and
preferably a positive sprayed 7 kV DC power source

I use a 6" wide belt with a 24" sphere and jump to 10" width for my larger
30" and 40" spheres.

Dr. Resonance