From: Shaun Epp <scepp@xxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sun, Apr 11, 2010 4:29 pm
Subject: [TCML] 1st light after rebuild

I fired up my tesla coil last night.  It was working pretty good till I noticed
racing sparks shooting down from the secondary.  They'd start about 2/3 the way
up and go down, I guess my coupling is too high.  I never did get it tuned
because I didn't want to damage the coil with the racing sparks, but I was
getting 3 to 4 foot arcs in all directions.  I didn't need a breakout point.
The coil is louder now than it used to be and the sparks seem brighter.  It's
been two years since I've had this thing going and it was pretty exciting.  Is
it normal for the racing sparks to start alone the side of the secondary like
this.?

coil specs:

secondary: 4.25 " by 22.25"
toroid is 16" x 5" and is 3 inches above secondary
primary is a flat spiral of 3/16 " copper tubing
primary tap around 10 turns
primary capacitor is 0.0321uF
dual static gap, tungsten rods
NST is 12kv, 60mA