Re: [TCML] Question on JavaTC

Hi Miles,

The .028" gap per 1kv seems awfully large. Is that 1kvrms? (Hope so ;-) ). I am also curious if this value is empirically based on a particular gap or electrode radius? One could go on and on I guess. In the end, with Javatc, it is simply calculating what should be the breakdown value based on cap size, current, electrode radius, etc.. Javatc is not trying to err on the side of safety (keeping a user from opening the gap up too wide) but is simply showing a breakdown value based on common calculation. Obviously, many variables come into play that change daily, so use it as a guideline or a starting point.

If I were you, I would set the gap with transformer and no cap, and verify arc distance with the radius of electrodes and air flow that you will be using. Even if it's only 2 electrodes for now, that should be fine. Then build the gap to the total gap distance using all electrodes.

In operation, there is also resonant charging and various anomalies that affect the actual charging of the cap. This will show itself in a static gap as a higher bps. How much higher is dependent on those variations from design in the charging circuit.

Hope that helps,
Bart

Miles Mauldin wrote:
Hi All,

Hope I am getting close on the final design, but I do have a couple of questions.  Here's my calculated JavaTC results.  "http://www.cmnow.com/TeslaMan/JavaTC-Final.jpg";

- I would like a flat primary, however to get the Coupling Coefficient anywhere near .14 I am having to change the angle of primary by 10%; already just under the Minimum Proximity so I can't get any closer.

- In the Static Gap Design section it is forcing me to specify a total gap space of less than 1/4 inch for 13 electrodes (.017 gap each).  Everything I have read regarding an RQSG specifies 1x .028" gap per 1kV.

- All my rough calculations based on the TC primary input I come up with 52-55" sparks.  I can get there by adjusting the gap but JavaTC shows I would be stressing the tank.  What's normal?

Thanks,
Miles