Re: [TCML] 60/50Hz Tesla Coil?

Hey Greg...

the secondary coil would be huge and not just by our standards but by the standards of the builders of the pyramids in Egypt

something in the size range of 100 feet dia by 1000 feet tall the length of wire would be somewhere near the distance a radio wave would travel in 1/60th of a second and imagine the cap and primary size to match probably need a zepplin as a toroid ;)

a quick check on my math shows  5 million meters of wire

pretty much   C/F    where c = 3X10 to the 8th meterspersec  and f = 60hz
and if you believe in the quarterwave length stuff 1.25 million meters would be used but that changes with toroid size....

Scot D

Greg Morris wrote:

So I just built my first solid state coil this year, and in thinking about
the nature of primary circuit driving, I got wondering, wouldn't it be
possible to design a Tesla Coil in which the secondary resonated at (or
near) 60/50Hz? The primary coil could be plugged directed into the wall with
no need for any driving circuitry, save for maybe a reactor to limit the
current.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this?

Cheers!
Greg