Re: [TCML] Core size

jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Does any one know the equation that tells me the
power rating of a transformer core based on its dimensions and material.

i am trying to figure out the power variac is rated for ...since it is not labeled

i have scoured the internet to no avail...maybe i am just searching using the wrong terms, ...

Thanks in advanced,
John "Jay" Howson IV

Hi Jay,

A useful formula (from "Practical Transformer Design Handbook" by Lowdon) for a laminated silicon-steel core transformer:

P = (A*f/9.6)2

Where:
P = power in watts
A = core area in square inches