RE: [TCML] Inductor design program?

I thought the "standard" way to do this was to use an old stick welder - you get a variable inductor with plenty of current handling capability - is this no longer the "preferred" method?  Old welders seem to sell cheaply - probalby about what you'd have to pay for the wire alone if you bought wire at full retail