Re: [TCML] Acrylic Covers

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 09:29, William Noble <william_b_noble@xxxxxxx>wrote:

> some of the info below just can't be true - in particular, whatever
> dielectric effect adding material around the coil has is not dependent on
> the existance of an airgap - the effect may be insignificant, but if you do
> the math, you will see that for these situations the existance of a gap
> doesn't matter.  What is true is that if there is an air gap, you can have
> all the normal effects of air taking place in that gap.

If there is an air gap between the secondary and acrylic cover nothing stops
it from flashing over end to end.  Also nothing stops corona from forming in
the gap.  No math is required to figure that one out. That said, the tube
may serve to lessen the chance of a primary to secondary flash over, but
certainly not secondary to secondary flash over.