Re: [TCML] MMC

Zig-zagging typically results in a more compact assembly.  But if the
caps are mounted side by side, they need to be spaced far enough apart
so there's no possibility of arcing between them.  The space between
adjacent caps in a string needn't be far, just 0.1" to 0.2".  Beyond
that, there's no electrical difference between the two arrangements.

If you had mounted them end-to-end, it's unlikely you could have all
12 in a single line, and you'd probably end up folding that string
anyway.  And if you did that, the space between the folded segments
would need to be a LOT further than 0.1", since the voltage difference
is now more than 1 cap.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 6:39 AM, andrew <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  Hi
> My caps have arrived. (The freight was horrendous but I am blanking that out
> of my mind and going to my happy place!)
> I intend to make 4 strings of 12 942c series 0.15uF. In terms of
> construction is it beetter to have the caps in a string of 12 arranged in a
> straight line or zig zaging back and forth as I have seen some do?
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Kiwi Newbie

<mega snip>