From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Christopher Karr
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:41 AM
To: Tesla Pupman List
Subject: [TCML] Stancor X-formers

Hello Everyone,

I have recently come into posession of two Stancor filament transformers
marked:

"6.3V CT 2.2A"

          The hitch is this - the transformers have had the center-tap
lead cut during production of their intended device (what I expect is a
triode-based RF amplifier) and I am unsure as to whether the centre-tap
(to) outer-lead connection is the 6.3V or if it is rated at 6.3V (hot+
to hot-).

Then, there are two-lead chokes marked:

"X* Hy (I know this means Henries and is a measure of inductance)

 50mA

 DC Insul. Tested 1500V"

I understand that this means that the choke is capable of handling
1500VDC, though should only be ran at a maximum of ~1,200VDC due to the
1,200VDC being, likely, less-smooth than the testing apparatus.

           My question is this - was this choke meant to be the method
of current-limiting for the output of the plate transformer?

Then, there's the control-transformer:

It is marked as "Hi-potted" and has a _very_ large input winding with
terminal lugs and two leads per lug into the transformer. It is labelled
as -

"Control transformer

 5V 200A"

Then, there are a plethora of leads which extend from the other side of
the transformer, all of which are around 12-14AWG stranded wire with
synthetic insulation (such as PVC hook-up wire).

Here's the question - what the **** is this thing used for? Modulation
of a plate-supply for amplitude-modulation broadcast? This seems
somewhat unlikely due to its having a laminated-steel core, which seems
(due to the thickness of the laminations) to be made for 50/60Hz. Any
clue?

Last, but certainly not least -

There is a transformer in a _huge_ housing (comparatively) which also
has three ovular-can capacitors. It has few markings, though it weighs
(figuratively) half-a-ton. Somebody expected it might be an isolation
transformer, though they reported it to be a step-up transformer, upon
further testing. The ratio of input to output, however is not known/is
not marked. The case has few markings and it is of the ever-famous,
non-marked type.

The transformer's input and output are on a common side of the case and
are mounted (equidistant from one-another, all four terminals) about two
inches from eachother.

Any help with these matters is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

 - Christopher Karr