Re: [TCML] Frequency content of arcs vs sparks

> Hello all, not sure if this is exactly on topic, but I figured if
> there's a group of people who would know the answer, its you guys.
>
> Lets say we have a simple, single-shot DC electric discharge. This
> produces a broadband response in the frequency domain.
   on paper.  in the real world, it depends
   on what wires, etc, are attached, forcing various
   resonances.  (There will be more than one...)
   cf Hertz experiments.

> What happens as we increase the discharge frequency
> (the "breaks per second")? From say, once per minute,
> to once per second, to kilohertz, to megahertz?
   initially, i would expect each frequency peak to seem
   stronger.  however, as the 'break rate' rises, the
   time to deionize the gap becomes noticeable, getting
   to the plasma/arc case mentioned below.  Hence the
   use of blown and rotary, and etc gaps.

> Basically, what is the frequency content of say, a 100 MHz electric
> discharge (at say 1 Hz, each pulse stands alone and produces a
> wideband frequency response, but what happens as the bps increases and
> one event "blurs" into the next [a kind of intersymbol
> interference])?
   i'd expect the spark to act as an arc, cf the early quasi
   cw arc (Poulsen) oscillators.  arcs get lossy and 'slow'
   by the time VHF is reached.

> Along a similar line, is there a difference, frequency-content-wise,
> between a spark and an arc (an arc being a continuous sustained plasma
> channel)?
   arcs exhibit negative resistance behaviour, which can lead to
   quasi cw oscillation, at frequencies determined by stray wire
   lengths, or designed components.  Or both.

> And how does oscillation frequency factor in?
   Oscillation frequency of what?
   8)>>

best
New dwp:     dave_p@xxxxxxxxxxx