From: bturner@xxxxxxxx <bturner@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Frequency content of arcs vs sparks
Date: Friday, August 6, 2010, 2:15 PM

>From what I understand, the arc discharge (especially arc's to ground,
etc) is quite ripe with exremely high frequency transients. Consider that
the torroid (or topload) has finite capacitance, the arc channel has
resistance and inductance (extremely small), and as such, forms yet
another type of crude spark-gap oscillator.

High break rates in the conventional primary really only mean that the
'arc' oscillator is recharged more often. Perhaps if you were able to
induce a harmonic content for resonance with that arc discharge, but it's
way up in the order of megahertz...

A continuous 'plasma' discharge in the conventional sense does not
oscillate as it is a continuously ionized path having extremely LOW
impedence. This is why neon-sign transformers have current-limiting
built-in.

- b