[TCML] inductance Vs diameter Vs height

Hey all,
Off the top of your heads can anybody tell me the most efficient surface area to inductance ratio of single winding solenoids? What I mean is the most efficient surface area to volume ratio for cylinders is 1 to 1 diameter to height, I am wondering if this applies to inductors also, or if a single turn of huge diameter is better, or perhaps zero diameter and infinite turns or somewhere in between. So for a given wire length, what configuration yields the highest inductance for single layer I guess is what I am asking, just curious and thought someone might know a short answer, and have any thoughts as to if this could apply to coiling in any way.

Scott Bogard.