  From: Scott Bogard
  Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:01 PM
  To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
  Subject: [TCML] inductance Vs diameter Vs height

  Hey all,
  Off the top of your heads can anybody tell me the most efficient
  surface area to inductance ratio of single winding solenoids?  What I
  mean is the most efficient surface area to volume ratio for cylinders is
  1 to 1 diameter to height, I am wondering if this applies to inductors
  also, or if a single turn of huge diameter is better, or perhaps zero
  diameter and infinite turns or somewhere in between.  So for a given
  wire length, what configuration yields the highest inductance for single
  layer I guess is what I am asking, just curious and thought someone
  might know a short answer, and have any thoughts as to if this could
  apply to coiling in any way.

  Scott Bogard.
Regards
Phil Tuck