Re: [TCML] MMC Caps

The data sheet for the 940C series says:
Type 940C round, axial leaded film capacitors have polypropylene film
and dual metallized electrodes for both self healing properties and high
peak current carrying capability (dV/dt). This series features low ESR
characteristics, excellent high frequency and high voltage capabilities.

For the 942C series:
Type 942C round, axial film capacitors utilize a hybrid section design of
polypropylene film, metal foils and metallized polypropylene dielectric to
achieve
both high peak current as well as superior rms current ratings. This series
is ideal
for high pulse operation and high peak current circuits.

The self-healing is accomplished by having a floating plate between the end
plates, made of a very thin metalized layer.  Should the dielectric between
an end plate and the floating plate break down, the thin metalized layer
vaporizes in the small area of the defect and leaves no electrical path
between the end plates.  The loss of the small area of floating plate is
inconsequential.

Odd that only the 940C description touts the self-healing feature, but I
believe that both types are capable of this,as both types employ the
floating plate, to achieve both a higher AC voltage rating (doubles the
corona inception voltage), as well as the self healing trick.  The
significant difference between the two types is that the end plates are foil
on the 942C's and metalized polyester (?) on the 940C's.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA