Re: [TCML] SISG

Hi Jay,

You will never learn about ordering PCBs in electrical engineering school,
that's a far too practical thing, universities (at least "good" ones)
wouldn't dare lower themselves to that level of practicality ;-).

You need to contact the originator (Mark Dunn, i think) about the PCB files,
they are collectively known as "gerber" files, though i doubt any of them
hold such an extension.  Basically, there are a bunch of files that detail
the top copper, bottom copper, drill placement, board size etc, they cant
extract this from a PDF.

Something about the "look" of the board file suggests to me that it was made
at expressPCB, they have their own free layout software which handles all
the details of getting boards made, you just have to be the designer.  At
the same time, their software really only works for that company, and last
time i used it, it was not nearly as nice as more professional software
(Cadsoft's eagle is my favorite) that will generate more universal file
types that can be sent to just about any PCB maker, including expressPCB.
So, just depends on what your needs are.

I personally get my boards made at 4pcb.com, often using the "barebones"
special, which means there is no silk-screen (text) or solder-mask (green
stuff) on the board, but they work just fine.  They may not be the cheapest
source, but they are quick turn, and other places in china were not
significantly cheaper.

Steve