Re: [TCML] + 30mA = dead garage door opener

I've got a line filter. 20A.  Oriented the "right" way - meaning the way it says printed on the thing itself.
I like the ideas of MOVs.   And I'll add some chokes.

All good suggestions and I plan to implement them.

I've amped up the coil again.  Now running 15/150 with 71nF tank cap.  0.25/0.25 primary tapped at about the 5th turn after a 2.5 inch spacing between the bottom turn of the secondary and the first turn of the primary.

Results are quite positive.  Following JavaTC's specs are helping quite a lot.  I'm over on the cap by about 4nf, and I'm tuned out on the 5th turn instead of the 4.7th turn.  But the sparks are impressive and now I appear to be interfering with the rest of my home electronics.  The coil is still in the garage, but so is the romex bus that feeds the entire house with line current.  No hits on the bus yet, but it's got to be in the electric field.  So there have to be induced currents.

I've noticed the behavior of the sparks is much  more "usual" with the tuning done properly.  None of this kind of spastic, stroboscopic jumping from place to place.  I mean, the sparks are in general, spastic - but it's a slower progression when everything is humming.

Though my home wiring is taking a beating.  I fear what will happen when I move beyond NSTs to a pole pig or a powerful DRSSTC.

Got to run in the driveway from now on.

Cheers
Joe