Re: [TCML] Determining wire gauge?

----- Original Message ----- From: "dave pierson" <dave_p@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Determining wire gauge?

>Is there a reliable method for determining the size of unknown magnet >wire?

   Normal:
   Lay hands (net search?) on a
    Copper Wire Table
   .
   This will list the diameter.
   And one would need a micrometer/caliper/etc.
   Borrow one?
   (I admit there will be ifness from the insulation...)

   http://library.bldrdoc.gov/docs/nbshb100.pdf
   picked at random.  (OK: I have such tables, in books, but I'm
   'weird'.)

   (Yeah: string a long chunk out and try to measure the resistance...
    iffy.  Still need the tables.)

   I guess one could 'close wind' 10 to 20 turns and try to use a ruler...

I think I'll try this. I have calipers, but they are too coarse to measure anything as fine as this wire.

   One can weigh it (back to the wire tables...
   And need to know the length.)

I might try this to corroborate the other method. Thanks.

PBT