From: dave pierson <dave_p@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, December 1, 2010 11:54:05 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Determining wire gauge?

>Is there a reliable method for determining the size of unknown magnet wire?

    Normal:
    Lay hands (net search?) on a
    Copper Wire Table
    .
    This will list the diameter.
    And one would need a micrometer/caliper/etc.
    Borrow one?
    (I admit there will be ifness from the insulation...)

    http://library.bldrdoc.gov/docs/nbshb100.pdf
    picked at random.  (OK: I have such tables, in books, but I'm
    'weird'.)

    (Yeah: string a long chunk out and try to measure the resistance...
    iffy.  Still need the tables.)

    I guess one could 'close wind' 10 to 20 turns and try to use a ruler...

    One can weigh it (back to the wire tables...
    And need to know the length.)

>I have access to a supply, but I don't know what the gauge is. It's very
>thin, probably in the 30s, from electric motor windings.

>PBT

__ best
    dwp