Re: [TCML] Determining wire gauge?

The winding of half an inch of turns [counting of course] and then measuring the length is plenty 'good enough for government work' and besides you will know how long a given winding will be so you don't really need to know wire size. Roughly #10 is 0.1" dia, #20 is 0.03", #30 is 0.01", and #40 is about 0.0032. All bare diameters and for the smaller sizes [<#30] the insulation thickness increases the apparent size.

Have a couple of those HFTS 'digital micrometers' and find they are as accurate as advertised and a good buy. A 4" one was on special for less than ten bucks last week. I keep one in my desk and one in the shop and only pull out the micrometers when more accuracy is needed.

Ed

Jon Danniken wrote:

mrapol@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I think I'll try this. I have calipers, but they are too coarse to
measure anything as fine as this wire.

You can buy accurate enough digital calipers (0.0005 resolution) for ten to twenty bucks when they go on sale at harbor freight. Useful for a lot of things.

Jon