Re: [TCML] Rectifying methods

Dennis Eriksson wrote:
The input voltage to the rectifier is only about 4000VAC, which would make 10000VDC in the primary circuit (12-pulse rectifier).
So far, the only commercial diodes I have managed to find are low voltage/power rated, such as those found in household electronics.
These are insufficient, as I would require thousands of them. On eBay I found these
http://cgi.ebay.com/50x-6Amp-1KV-High-Voltage-High-Current-Rectifier-Diode-/130461406786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e601b1642

Yes.. that's the general thing, although for an application like yours, I think I'd want to buy parts from a well-known manufacturer through a recognized distributor. You'd hate to buy some cheap knockoff that just looked good.

So, you string up 12 of them for each element of your 12 pulse.

You might want to look for diodes with faster recovery time. You don't need the ultra-fast, but somewhat faster helps. For one thing, all the diodes in the string turn off closer together in time, for another, you have less reverse current flow during the turn off.

Which are ought to be somewhat similar to the ones you are referring to, am I right? Perhaps these would be suitable in the rectifier, but would they be able to resist the tremendous current from the tank capacitor when the spark gap fires? Or is it not a problem at all? I have no education in electronics worth mentioning, I built my first coil at the age of thirteen, and has continued ever since, so there is plenty of experience though.