Re: [TCML] How To Turn A Vacuum Cleaner Motor Into A Synchronous Motor

Wow, this sounds pretty cool! Would make even powerfull Sync-Motors if applied to washing-machine motors.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clive Penfold" <clivepenfold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 2:24 PM
Subject: [TCML] How To Turn A Vacuum Cleaner Motor Into A Synchronous Motor

Allow me to reveal my latest discovery or possibly invention if no one has
thought of it before!

A  vacuum cleaner motor can be made to run at synchronous speed with the
addition of a diode; actually 2 in parallel for mechanical balance

Mains vacuum cleaner motors are usually series wound AC brush motors. The one I

removed from a 1100 watt Miele cleaner ran at 18,000 rpm and drew 5 amps at 240
volts.

Having dismantled it, I soldered two 3 amp 1000 volt diodes across 2 opposite
commutator segments (180 deg apart),  tucked down behind the commutator. One
would have done

but to maintain physical balance, I used a pair opposite each other and applied

a liberal amount of epoxy resin to stop  them flapping about.

The motor is still series connected as before and runs at 3000 rpm (at 50 Hz)
quite happily

from 30 volts AC where it draws 0.8 amp to 80 volts AC where it draws 5 amps at
no load.

One thing that I haven't looked at yet is the phase change of the rotor as the

load varies but it is probably no worse than an induction motor with  flats
machined on it. I don't see why it shouldn't respond to John Freau's phase
controller circuit.

I will be interested to hear of other peoples experiences who try it.

There is a discussion running on this subject on the tcbouklist, where I
originally posted.

Regards,

Clive