Re: [TCML] Flashover Follow

Hi Miles, I have found it fairly easy to just raise the secondary.  If you have the secondary bolted to the to the primary deck, just loosen the bolt and use blocks of wood or plastic as shims under the coil.  I usually raise it 1/4" then run it briefly to see if that eliminates the racing sparks.  In not, raise it another 1/4" and repeat the process until there are no more racing sparks.  Good luck.  Dennis Hopkinton MA

-----Original Message-----
From: Miles Mauldin <teslamiles@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, Dec 7, 2010 8:31 am
Subject: [TCML] Flashover Follow

I searched the archives and have read through the posts found regarding
lashover or racing sparks.  My conclusions are that changing the top load has
ittle effect in most cases, changing the bang rate can provide relief if it is
ot set properly and the only approach proven successful is decoupling for a
ower k coefficient.  Did I miss any?
I increased power and have seen this effect a couple of times.  I want to
ddress it before I continue any testing and potentially causing damage.  Of the
many methods I read on how people decouple their coils my preference would be to
raise the secondary (verses cutting out primary turns, unwinding turns of the
econdary, etc...) Are there any opinions on one method verses another?
Thanks,
iles