RE: [TCML] 400 hz variacs

You will find that the 47-400hz units are for low power operations.

For higher power operations, the materials of the core are different for
60hz and 400hz.

400hz power transformers are a lot smaller and lighter than their equivalent
60hz units. They were developed for use on airplanes where size and weight
were an issue. Also, less filtration needed when converting to DC. An
elegant hack...

Dave