To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] How To Turn A Vacuum Cleaner Motor Into A Synchronous Motor

Good point, maybe Stefan's resistor ideas would help in that case.

And Stefan I like your resistor idea in general, it would reduce the stresses on
the brushes and diodes, and make self starting easier, as you said.

Interesting too about the superior torque ability of the modified universal motors.

I also didn't know that some induction type sync motors use small permanent
magnets.  Some time ago someone suggested adding small permanent
magnets to a hysteresis type sync motor to make it start in the same
phase position every time.  Any thoughts if that might work?

Cheers,
John