Re: [TCML] how to determine some facts about ionizer module?

Alan,
You will not destroy an electrostatic voltmeter (appropriate scale chosen, of course), and it can measure sources of very low current, such as this. If the voltage is D.C., it will directly read out the voltage.
If the voltage is A.C. the voltage indicated is the true RMS voltage.

Bert Pool

Alan Sinclair wrote:

I've been given a small encapsulated "black box" from an ionizer. It has 110
V utility power input leads and two output leads, one grounded to the
chassis and one to a needle (presumably the emitter). I suspect that
connecting it to my self-ranging DVM could speedily destroy the latter. How
can I most easily discover the voltage it delivers (enough for a very small,
almost painless spark) and its other characteristics?

thanks
Alan