Re: [TCML] How To Turn A Vacuum Cleaner Motor Into A Synchronous Motor

 Hi,

I did more experiments in modifying the same 120VAC universal motor.

1)  I added a 6A, 1000V rectifier diode across the 2 opposed sections of
shorted commutator segments.  There were 4 adjacent segments shorted
together on one side of the commutator, and 4 adjacent segments shorted
on the opposing side of the commutator.  These opposing areas were then
connected by the diode.  I used a single diode and didn't worry about
weight balance because the diode is lightweight, and the speed (3600rpm)
is not that fast.  I didn't use any glue to hold the diode in place.  The
addition of the diode seemed to cause the motor to self start from any
spot (?), but sync operation was obtained only from 20V to 22V, and the
sync lock was not very stable.  There was constant hunting (rocking
back and forth of the visual pattern while sync-locked).  The presence of
the diode caused arcing at the brushes.

2)  I removed two shorts so that only 3 segments were shorted on
opposing sides of the commutator.  The diode was left in place.
Now the motor didn't self start from one particular spot.  There was
still arcing at the brushes.  Sync lock was obtained between 21V and
29 V.  Hunting occurred at the lower end of that voltage range, but
as the voltage was increased, the hunting died down, and the
sync lock was stable (no rocking of the pattern).

3)  I removed two more shorts so that only 2 segments were shorted
on opposing sides of the commutator.  The diode was left in place.
Now the motor didn't self start from two spots.  There was still
arcing at the brushes.  Sync lock was only obtained between
16V and 18V.  However the motor did not hunt as in (1) above,
it was more stable, but didn't give much torque while in sync.

It seems to me from the tests above (and below), that adding
the diode improves self starting, but weakens the sync-lock
and can promote hunting.  I expected this, because the addition
of the diode causes the motor to be shorted across the opposing
segments during 1/2 of the A/C cycle, and I found that completely
shorting across the opposing segments kills sync-lock completely.
I assume that shorting for 1/2 the A/C cycle "kills" the sync-lock
only partially, and allows for some sync-locking to occur.  I didn't
try connecting the diode to only one segment on each side of
the commutator, but my guess is this would work poorly since
the operation improved when I went from 2 segments to 3 segments.
Also Stefan's motor improved when he used more shorted segments.
Using 2 segments shorted on each side gave me bad hunting, which
Stefan also saw until he shorted more segments.  It is interesting that
sync lock occurred around 20 volts or so which happens to be 1/2
the voltage that Stefan and Clive used.  This makes sense because
they were using 240V motors, but I'm using a 120V motor.

None of my tests gave sync-lock with self-starting in all starting
positions.

I did not try using a heavier rotor on the motor, to simulate use in
an SRSG.

In any case the sync lock was much better without the diode, although
the self-starting was worse.  It's possible that larger more powerful
universal motors such as Stefan's washing machine motor are more
suitable for this modification.  It's also possible that 240V universal
motors are better suited for this modification since Clive had good
results using his 240 volt vacuum cleaner motor.

Cheers,
John