Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Off grid, medium size, 12V battery powered TC

Jonathan,

I suppose that if one alternator isn't sufficient, you could hook up
two, three, or more with a serpentine belt to the output of a junkyard
V-6 auto engine.  Perhaps big alternators from trucks or construction
equipment might give more power per alternator module.one.
I remember stories of the Air Force using hot rod V-8 engines on
starting carts to spin the massive jet engines of the SR-71 planes up to
speed before lighting them off.  One horsepower equals 750 watts, so
even a 10 HP mower engine would get you 7.5 kW, minus conversion
losses.  The engine from a motorcycle or small compact car would give
you plenty of power to work with.

I know Steve Ward built a very elegant and compact solid state inverter
to boost 240 VAC wall plug juice up to something like 800 VDC to run his
big SSTCs.  Since he first rectifies the wall current to DC, something
like that might fill the  bill for you, as you would be getting
pulsating DC from the alternators.  You would just have to use steering
diodes to keep the paralleled alternators from fighting each other.

Dave